The Foundation Against Intolerance and Racism (FAIR) is a nonpartisan organization dedicated to advancing civil rights and liberties for all Americans, and promoting a common culture based on fairness, understanding and humanity.
Here’s what we stand for:
- We defend civil liberties and rights guaranteed to each individual, including freedom of speech and expression, equal protection under the law, and the right to personal privacy.
- We advocate for individuals who are threatened or persecuted for speech, or who are held to a different set of rules for language or conduct based on their skin color, ancestry, or other immutable characteristics.
- We support respectful disagreement. We believe bad ideas are best confronted with good ideas – and never with dehumanization, deplatforming or blacklisting.
- We believe that objective truth exists, that it is discoverable, and that scientific research must be untainted by any political agenda.
- We are pro-human, and promote compassionate anti-racism rooted in dignity and our common humanity.
FAIR seeks a full-time staff attorney who will work remotely, report directly to the Managing Director of the Legal Network, and work with FAIR’s President and other members of FAIR’s management team. The responsibilities include:
- Supporting and assisting the Managing Director of the Legal Network
- Assisting in case intake, including reviewing documents, communicating with clients, and managing cases in a timely manner
- Performing legal research and preparing legal memoranda
- Drafting contracts
- Preparing legal resources for clients and FAIR members
- Working with the FAIR management team to ensure all goals are met
- Cultivating and managing positive relationships with other nonprofit organizations
- Assisting in strategy and policy development
- Keeping abreast of changes in the relevant law
- Attending weekly management meetings and other meetings
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Commitment to civil liberties and FAIR’s pro-human mission
- Minimum of one year of experience in civil litigation, preferably in civil rights law
- Active license to practice law in at least one jurisdiction
- Strong organizational, communication, and writing skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with the management team, volunteers, and coordinating nonprofits
- Ability to manage multiple projects and a variety of tasks and meet all deadlines while being energized by the opportunity to work in a fast-paced, team-centered environment
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line “Staff Attorney Position.”