Job Title: Public Relations Specialist
This is a full-time position with full health, dental, vision, and retirement benefits.
Date: April 2022
The Foundation Against Intolerance and Racism (FAIR) seeks a Public Relations Specialist.
FAIR is a nonpartisan organization dedicated to advancing civil rights and liberties for all, and promoting a common culture based on fairness, understanding and humanity.
Here’s what we stand for:
- We defend civil liberties and rights guaranteed to each individual, including freedom of speech and expression, equal protection under the law, and the right to personal privacy.
- We advocate for individuals who are threatened or persecuted for speech, or who are held to a different set of rules for language or conduct based on their skin color, ancestry, or other immutable characteristics.
- We support respectful disagreement. We believe bad ideas are best confronted with good ideas – and never with dehumanization, deplatforming or blacklisting.
- We believe that objective truth exists, that it is discoverable, and that scientific research must be untainted by any political agenda.
- We are pro-human, and promote compassionate anti-racism rooted in dignity and our common humanity.
The Public Relations Specialist supports FAIR’s Communications Team in its mission to promote a common culture based on fairness, understanding and humanity. The person in this role will be a highly motivated and detail-oriented person who thrives in a fast-paced, start-up environment. This position reports to the Director of Messaging and Editorial.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain a philosophical alignment with and be able to articulate FAIR’s pro-human, nonpartisan mission, values, and principles
- Work well on a team, being mindful of overall team and organizational goals and objectives.
- Help maintain FAIR’s identity and reputation
- Develop content and messaging for media outlets, including press releases, images, pitch letters, Substack content, and trend stories
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with regional and national media outlets
- Arrange for interviews and other media or event appearances for FAIR or FAIR’s stakeholders
- Respond to requests for information from media outlets
- Evaluate messaging and content to ensure alignment with FAIR mission
- Track, evaluate, and share results of PR efforts
- Field inquiries from the press and public
- Coordinate scheduling and logistics as necessary
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- Excellent communication skills, including well-developed writing and presentation skills
- Active listening, problem solving, and relationship management skills
- Comfort with a public-facing role
- Comfort with fast-paced and ever-changing situations
- Ability to set and achieve goals and meet deadlines
- Strong administrative and organizational skills
- Self-starter and independent initiative
- Ego-less team player with flexibility to adapt and modify work.
- Undergraduate degree in a complementary field
- Prior public relations and/or journalism experience is helpful but not required.
Requires knowledge of Google office software. Knowledge of database management, contact management software (Salesforce), project management software (Asana), and video conferencing software (Zoom) preferred.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line “Public Relations Specialist.”